The International Mathematics Olympiad syllabus is a prerequisite for all IMO aspirants. Referring to the IMO syllabus familiarizes students with the various topics covered in the exams. It gives them a head start for their IMO preparation journey. The IMO syllabus is quite vast as it is based on different curricula followed by CBSE, ICSE/ISE, and various state boards.
The topics included in the syllabus are perfectly suitable for the class curriculum and understanding of the students. The latest IMO syllabus is proficiently designed to build a conceptual math learning approach. It is based on the fundamental concepts of mathematics and aims to test students’ understanding of the same. If you are an IMO aspirant looking for the International Maths Olympiad syllabus and IMO class 9 previous papers continue reading more.
General Tips for the Olympiad Exams
- Irrespective of whether you are a first-timer or a regular, a complete understanding of the Olympiad’s preparation is a must.
- Questions in the Olympiad exams are trickier than in normal school exams. They test your concepts. Practice thinking outside the box.
- The Olympiad ranks will also add a boost to your profile allowing you direct admission to many top universities in the world. Therefore do not take them lightly.
Syllabus for Class 9
Topics and chapters listed under IMO syllabus 2021-22 for both levels I & II remain the same, however, the level of difficulty increases. Level II is conducted only for Classes 3 to 12 students.
- Section 1 (Logical Reasoning): Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
- Section 2 (Mathematical Reasoning): Number Systems, Polynomials, Linear Equations in Two Variables, Introduction to Euclid’s Geometry, Coordinate Geometry, Lines and Angles, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Areas of Parallelograms and Triangles, Constructions, Circles, Surface Areas and Volumes, Heron’s Formula, Probability, Statistics.
- Section 3 (Everyday Mathematics): The Syllabus of this section will be based on the Syllabus of Mathematical Reasoning.
- Section 4 (Achievers Section): Higher Order Thinking Questions (HOTS) – Syllabus as per Section 2.
|Section||No. of Questions||Marks Per Question||Total Marks|
Level II Exam Syllabus and Pattern
Level II exam is conducted for students of classes 3 to 12 only. Students who will qualify for the level I exam with a minimum performance level will appear in the Level II exam.
Below mentioned are the criteria of students for the level II exam:
- Top 5% students from each class.
- Top 25 zone-wise and class-wise rank holders.
- Class toppers from each participating school where at least 10 students from a class appear in the exam and score 50% qualifying marks.
|Topics||No. of Questions||Marks Per Question||Total Marks|
Maths Olympiad Tips and Tricks
Know the Correct Syllabus
The Olympiads exams curate their question paper based on the respective class school curriculum. This is the biggest advantage the students have while preparing for the exams. They know the area of expertise from which they can expect to be questioned. Therefore it is very important that the students know the complete syllabus in detail of their current curriculum.
Get the Right Book
Once you are through with what is the syllabus, the next step would be to choose the right material. Unlike the regular school exams, the Olympiads do not expect you to cram all the study material, even though they have the same syllabus playing. Identify the right kind of book based on your comprehension style. The books you choose must cover all the content and topics relevant to the IMO syllabus. It must also cover all the important math Olympiad questions for practice to help you to up your game. The study material you choose must offer you previous year’s papers, Workbooks, Olympiad Skill Development System, Mock Test Series to prepare for SOF IEO Olympiads.
As the saying goes ‘if you fail to plan, then you’re planning to fail’, having a strong study plan is one of the most important aspects.
Prepare a Time
Table or study schedule for your IMO preparation. Also, this does not mean you cram your study session with non-stop hours filled with mathematical Olympiad challenges. Ensure you are given enough time for regular academics as well as the math Olympiad practice problems along with enough resting time to calm your mind for better concentration. However, this can only work if you stick to your schedule and plan with utmost discipline.
Practise makes a Man Perfect
There is no shortcut when it comes to this aspect of exam preparation. The only way to obtain the top rank is to work hard and pour a large amount of time into practice sessions. Ensure you put yourself in a place that is calm and quiet and practice with as many problems as possible. This will allow you to concentrate on your problems and to think outside the box for obtaining the most accurate answers.
Understand the Concepts
The Olympiads exams have only concept-oriented objective-type questions. Like mathematics, it is an application subject, cramming the concepts of the problem-solving methods is of no use to the students. Students should learn to strengthen their mathematical concepts by revising everything they had even learned in their previous years. They can also visit various math Olympiad question sites to obtain different kinds of important questions that might be asked in the exam and solve the same.
Have the Right Attitude
As much as the preparation, having the right attitude is extremely important when taking up these competitive exams. You might be taking it for the first time or you would have taken it before, having the right amount of confidence and making a timetable to prepare for the exams is very important for better performance in the exam.
You should neither be overconfident nor be terrified by the exam, as this would directly affect your answering abilities in the exam. Read blogs on tips and tricks for the exam, be positive, practice meditation. Do not revise unnecessarily and push yourself into a zone of panic. Instead, be confident in your preparation method and attend the exam with a positive mindset.