In medical sciences, the other name of Shortness of Breath is Dyspnea, an uncomfortable condition that makes it hard to get air into the lungs completely & creates breathing problems.
Most people experience shortness of breath for a certain period & others get it for a long term, like a couple of weeks or months. Whether it is a long-term problem or short-term, it can be alleviated with proper treatments.
If your breaths’ shortness isn’t caused by a medical emergency, you can get rid of it by applying some simple but effective home treatments.
In this write-up, we have come up with the 9 best treatments for shortness of Breath. Hopefully, you’ll be benefited after reading out the context with full of intent.
Main Reasons for Shortness of Breath
If you are suffering from a regular shortness of breath problem, that means there are obviously some reasons behind it. We have given a list of possible reasons for shortness of breath here. Look at the list below & identify especially for which reason you are experiencing the problem.
- Obesity or overweight
- Pollutants in the air
- High temperature
- Strenuous exercise
- Abnormal heart functions
- Lung cancer
9 Home Treatments for Shortness of Breath
People with Dyspnea find it challenging to take a breath, and sometimes they feel chest tightness connected to shortness of breath. If you have been suffering from the problem for a long time, you can execute some effective home treatments. In this segment, we have discussed the 9 best home treatments for breaths’ shortness.
Wrinkled Lip Breathing
It is one of the easiest ways to control shortness of breath that aids instantly slow your breaths’ pace and makes each breath more effective & profound. Wrinkle Lip Breathing helps release blocked air in the lungs as well. however, follow the steps below to perform Wrinkle lip breathing
- Initially, de-stress your shoulder & neck muscles.
- Take a breath slowly with your nose for 2 seconds and keep your mouth close.
- Wrinkle your lips like you are trying to whistle.
- Now exhale slowly and gently through the wrinkled lips.
By sitting forward while resting can alleviate the shortness of breath. But what posture should you follow while setting ahead? To get perceived, check out the steps below.
- Take a chair and sit on it and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Make sure that your chest is leaning forward.
- Keep both hands on your knees strictly.
- While doing these things, ensure your neck and shoulder muscles are relaxed.
Setting Frontward Assisted by a Pillow
It is another method mostly similar to the above one. You just need a pillow as an extra thing. Follow the below steps to execute the treatment effectively.
- Sit in a chair with feet flat on the floor and lean forward
- Place a pillow on the table in front of you
- Place your hands on the table
- Keep your head on the pillow
Standing with Supported Back
Standing can also get your problem rid of. Here is the productive way to stand with your back supported.
- Stand next to the wall so that your hips can touch it
- Keep your both hands on your thighs
- Lean forward and hang your arms in front of you
Standing up with Propped Arms
Shortness of breath can be alleviated by standing with supporting arms, and most sufferers have ensured that it is more effective than the other methods.
- Stand in front of a table and make sure that its height is along the waist
- Lean slightly forward and rest your elbow & hands on the table
- Rest your head & relax your shoulder
Sleeping with the Right Position
A significant number of people experience shortness of breath while sleeping that diminishes the quality and duration of sleep and keeps you stressed the entire day. But, do you know, it is possible to relieve the shortness of breath problem with a proper sleeping position? Follow the steps below to sleep in the correct position to avoid breathing problems.
- Lay down on your bed straightly
- Place two pillows on your head
- And then place two pillows on your knees bent
Breathing deeply is also another beneficial way to reduce shortness of breath. For deep breathing, track down the guidelines below.
- Lie down straightly and place your hands on your abdomen
- Take a deep breath through your nose and let your lungs fill with air
- Hold your breath for a few seconds
- Breathe out slowly and empty your lungs
Bring an AirPhysio
You can Get AirPhysio Now that will also help you alleviate the breathing shortness. Airphysio is a lung expansion device used Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure(OPEP) that aids the natural cleaning process of the body and helps control maximum hygiene in lungs and refit lung capacity. As it removes the blocked mucus, users can breathe adequately. So, if you purchase it once, you can use it whenever you need it.
Are you wondering how it is possible? Well, let us explain. Research shows that caffeine that we get in coffee relaxes the muscles that are in the air passages of people with Asthma. This also improves lung capacity for up to four hours.
Special Mentions for
Apart from the above home treatments, you can also apply other regimens as well. These includes
- Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Using a Fan
- Quit Smoking
- Losing Weight
- Getting Enough Help
- Staying Healthy by Eating Well
Shortness of breath can happen for several reasons: overweight, obesity, smoking, wrong position while sleeping, asthma, etc. If you are experiencing shortness of breath, don’t get frustrated. It can be alleviated by applying some simple but effective treatments that we have mentioned above.
However, if you experience frequent shortness of breathing along with chest pain, medical emergency, or can’t have enough oxygen, we’ll recommend calling a doctor and taking medicine according to the prescription you have been provided.
You should also make an appointment with a doctor when you notice that you face difficulty taking a breath while lying down or suffering from a high fever.