Arghhhh!! Spring is here and so is my allergy!
This is one of the common statement that probably you would be hearing from an allergy sufferer.
Unfortunately, I had the same thoughts while I was visiting my doctor at the Darul Sehat, as I suffer dust allergy which increases during spring. The sneezes really tire you out. So, we allergy sufferers need to be very careful not to trigger the spell of our allergy attack.
Well, previously I used to think that people either have dust, pollen or food allergy but allergy specialists in Lahore during their allergy awareness seminar mentioned that there are such unique and problematic allergies that we can never even imagine.
Allergy can even go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed, so it is essential to properly check if there is anything that is concerning.
For this reason, I am going to share 25 fun facts that you need to know if you are an allergy sufferer like me.
So, let’s get started
- Allergy is the body’s protective response against the foreign substance in the body. The body’s symptoms can be anything against it. It can be from mild to deadly.
- If someone suffers from a food allergy than it is rare for that individual to suffer from any other type of food allergy.
- Food intolerance and food allergy are two different things. People confuse them both as allergy however it is not the case. Food allergy is something else and food tolerance is mostly due to any health disorder or any deficiency. Food tolerance is easily cured as compared to food allergies.
- Allergic rhinitis is also known as hay fever. People who suffer from this allergy are not allergic to the hay and thus do not experience fever as one of the typical symptoms.
- Hay fever doesn’t have to an allergy. Some people suffer from the same symptoms towards the irritants such as perfumes, cleaning products or smoke even.
- The bites and stings of the insects can cause allergy too. The five common insects induce allergy are fire ants, yellow jackets, hornets, honey bees and wasps.
- Per year about 100 deaths occur worldwide due to the allergy reaction upon the bite of an insect.
- If someone suffers from an allergic reaction due to the sting of an insect. So, there are 60% chances of the same or worse reaction to occur if the same insect stung the person.
- It is possible for a person to suffer from sudden food allergy to a food that is a regular part of the diet.
- There are various allergies that run in the families but there is no such evidence as such if a parent will pass allergy to their children or not.
- About 90% of the food allergies are due to these eight foods which are tree nuts, peanuts, soy, wheat, milk, eggs, fish and shellfish.
- If a child is having food allergies towards eggs or milk than it is mostly cured when they grow up; however, this is not the case with childhood allergies towards the nuts and legumes.
- Peanuts are one of the most common foods that cause allergy in both children and adults.
- People can even suffer from the symptoms of the food allergies even by entering a restaurant towards the food they have allergy from.
- The allergy specialist does not diagnose allergy in patients either as mild or worse since the patient can suffer from the sudden anaphylactic reaction towards the allergen.
- During pregnancy, the hormonal change can alter the function of the immune system and thus increase the onset of the previous allergy.
- The metals that mostly cause allergy are cobalt and nickel. And the metals that cause the least allergy are platinum, stainless steel, sterling silver, gold and copper.
- Cosmetic products can even cause an allergy that includes eye shadow, eyeliner and even cosmetic soaps. This is due to that cosmetic products contain chromate that causes allergy.
- One of the leading cause of the “allergy-related deaths” are due to the medicines that cause allergy.
- The 3 most common inducers of anaphylaxis are food, medicine and insects stings.
- Common allergies among the children between 0-4 of age are skin inflammation, eczema and hives.
- At some point in life, the healthcare workers start to develop an allergy towards the latex.
- People who suffer from allergy from the sun usually develop this kind of allergy when they are near the age of 35 years old or above.
- There is a unique kind of allergy known as “Hives or Allergy urticaria” make the skin of an individual so sensitive that you can even write words on the skin by the mere touch of a fingernail.
- People develop allergy due to the animals as well that include cats, dogs, birds, horses and guinea pigs.